1. The arrest of Mr. Olisaemeka Osefoh, as among one of the ground breaking efforts of the agency, urging members of the public, landlords and market union members to report any suspicious activity relating to NAFDAC regulated products around their community to the nearest NAFDAC office for immediate action
2.The estimated street value of the counterfeit medicines which is about 2 x 20 feet container load is one hundred and six million, two hundred and ten thousand naira (N106, 210,000.00) only
3. The suspect has confessed how he illegally cleared the medicines through the Tin can Island Port, Lagos, adding; “the counterfeit medicines have been sampled against the suspect and he will be prosecuted as soon as investigation is concluded.”
4. I (the DG) want to reiterate that there will be no sacred cow in the fight against counterfeit medicines; any counterfeiter arrested will be prosecuted according to the law of the land.
5. NAFDAC is working closely with the Chinese Embassy in Nigeria to track down the criminal company in China who connived with the suspect (Mr. Osefoh) to ship into the country these counterfeit medicines, adding; “the agency has enjoyed the support and co-operation of the Chinese Embassy in the fight against drug counterfeiting in the country.
However, NAFDAC and its DG forgot,overlooked,did not know or did not consider it necessary to;
1. Confirm with the real manufacturing company as regards authenticity of the product.
2.Tell the public what made the product fake, is it that it contained no active ingredient, the active ingredient is not up to the standard quantity, what actually is contained in those products, are the content harmful to the human body or is that it did not contain NADFAC number.
3. To make the batch numbers of those product available to the members of the public in case any of those product be already in the market
4. Update these findings on their site
you can read the publication on http://www.mydailynewswatchng.com/2013/05/11/nafdac-arrests-parades-drug-counterfeit-importerx/
NAFDAC SHOULD PLEASE BE PROACTIVE!!!