In accordance with the enabling laws, NAFDAC is authorised to:
• Regulate and control the importation, exportation, manufacture, advertisement, distribution, sale and use of regulated products.
• Conduct appropriate tests and ensure compliance with standard specifications.
• Undertake appropriate investigation of the production premises and raw materials of regulated products.
• Compile standard specifications, regulations, and guidelines for the production, importation, exportation, sale and distribution of regulated products.
• Control the exportation and issue quality certification of regulated products intended for export.
• Establish and maintain relevant laboratories for the performance of its functions.
• Ensure that the use of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances are limited to medical and scientific use only.
• Undertake the registration of food, drugs, medical devices, bottled water and chemicals.
• Undertake inspection of imported regulated products.
• Pronounce on the quality and safety of regulated products after appropriate analysis
There are presently nine (9) directorates in NAFDAC headed by Directors who report to the director-General (DG). Now, let’s look at those sins
1. THEY CATCH FAKERS BUT THE NEVER HELP THE PUBLIC
It is in the habit of NAFDAC to report cases of closed shops and drug barons caught importing fake drugs or fake substances, as laudable as this achievement may be they are of no use to the consumers, and I will show why.
Sometimes this week, we got news that NAFDAC has closed down 20 pharmacy and patent shops for selling fake drugs in Benue state, then they went on to talk about how they have been fighting fakers, how the public should help them blab bla ba. But the question is, yes, they have closed down the shops(which would be opened in no time anyway), have they helped the public? No, why? Because they fail to tell us the names of the drugs seized, the names of the shops and probably their addresses and most importantly, the manufacturers or importers of such products, the batch number, the manufacturing and expiry date of such drugs, these are information that are useful to the members of the public and health personals, not telling us how you have been doing a job you have been paid to do. If one takes a look at world health organization report on fake drugs, one wonders what sort humans run NAFDAC,WHO would give out all the information as I have stated above, these helps the consumers and pharmacist who sells these product to identify the fake products and, if they are sincere, report such product to the appropriate quarters. If you closed down 20 shops for stocking fake drugs, what of those that stocked the same product, but you did not see or catch them, how would the public help themselves?
2. THE RARELY BAN ANY PRODUCT UNLESS IT IS BANNED BY WHO OR FDA
Besides the story of my pikin syrup, I doubt if NAFDAC has ever banned any product or drug in recent time, my pikin syrup has become the back bone of their major achievement over the years. Even situations where such products has been banned or recalled in the US or other developed nation or WHO, it some times takes years for such product to be banned here, my point is this, why cannot such product be banned here first
3. THEY HAVE NEVER, IN RECENT TIME RECALLED OR WITHDRAWN ANY PRODUCT FROM THE MARKET
For the past one week, many product has been recalled from the US market by the FDA, US equivalence of NAFDAC, but here what do we hear or read besides closing down shops, or does it mean that all product in the Nigerian market is consumable…laughable isn’t it.
4. THEY NEVER REGULATE FOOD, ONLY DRUG! DRUG!! DRUG!!!
The last we ever had of such regulation was during the tenure of professor Dora Akinyuli, at least we knew then that bread without label should not be consumed, we knew then that bread should be bromate free, today, we eat bread that not only unlabeled but people sleep on them
During Akinyuli’s era, we understood why we had to consume iodized salt, today I do not even know what salt I consume, besides these what else has NAFDAC done with regards to food. I recalled in my undergraduate days, when our pharmaceutical microbiologist ( oga dave) asked us to collect ten different pure water product and carry out purity test on them, at the end of the day, not only did they all fail, but many of our colleagues stopped drinking pure water, these are supposed to be PURE water, though they had NAFDAC number but are impure. NAFDAC please look into other areas of your mandates not just drug drug drug
5. THEY DO NOT UPDATE THEIR WEBSITE
The last time I checked (today of course), the only conspicuous headline there are
1.NAFDAC lab gets international accreditation. Published 19th of November 2013
2. US senate passes a resolution commending dg of NAFDAC on war against fake drug. Published 14th of October 2013
3. DG of NAFDAC bags congressional award. published 27th of june 2013
Now, look at the dates between those useless publication, you wonder if NAFDAC are filled with ghosts…jeez, of what use are these information to us
6. THEY ARE ALWAYS INVOLVED IN SELF PRAISE
One act, that NAFDAC has perfected so perfectly is self praise, they praise themselves how they have closed 20 shops in benue, how they caught this and that drug baron, how they are fighting God knows what fight and blab la bla.
I would advise NAFDAC to take a look at the activities of the FDA, look at their own (NAFDAC) mandate, and do their job. I must say,they are not doing your job at all, they are just there as a monument, as another conduit pipe through which tax payers money are sapped.
IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER ‘SINS(S)’ THEY ARE COMMITTING FEEL FREE TO ADD THEM